Mike loves encouraging people to draw and be creative! Cartooning is an engaging and accessible art form that allows artists (kids, teens & adults) to not only communicate their ideas, but also generate true emotional responses in their audience—whether its joy & laughter or more challenging feelings. Cartooning is also a wonderful hands-on educational medium, allowing students of any artistic skill level to explore the creative process while developing their drawing/design and storytelling skills. Most importantly, cartooning can be lots of fun!
Animation, in particular, is a wonderful form of cartooning for inspiring creativity and fostering an appreciation for the arts because it has a magical quality. Mike’s classes provide students with a unique learning experience that includes access to the required animation tools/technology and a knowledgeable teacher to help guide them. There’s a magical moment when a student sees their own drawings come to life on-screen.
Combined Honours BA in Multimedia & Anthropology (McMaster University), an Art Fundamentals Certificate (Sheridan College), 2-years of Classical Animation (Sheridan College) and a Bachelor of Education in Communications Technology (Brock University).
Professionally trained educator and certified member of the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT). Also a proud member of the National Cartoonists Society (NCS)—the world’s largest and most prestigious organization of professional cartoonists.
- Adult Basic Education Association (Hamilton, Ontario)
- Brock University, Faculty of Ed. (AQ/ABQ Guest Instructor)
- Caledon Public Library (CPL)
- Camp Steel-Away (ArcelorMittal Dofasco)
- City of Hamilton (Parks & Recreation)
- District School Board of Niagara (DSBN)
- Farmer’s Dell Co-op Preschool (Binbrook, Ontario)
- Food4Kids Hamilton (Registered Charity/No Charge)
- Hamilton Public Library (HPL)
- Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board (HWCDS)
- Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB)
- Grimsby Public Library (GPL)
- Kenosha Festival of Cartooning (Kenosha, Wisconsin)
- McMaster University (Teaching Assistant & Animation Camp Instructor)
- Mohawk College (Summer Camps Guest)
- Ontario Early Years Centres (Hamilton & Stoney Creek)